Recently we in the Festival Biz lost a friend, a colleague and a super star of a human being…This is a great tribute written by The Festival Guy that touches my heart and I hope will touch yours…
Running my website usually involves writing about festival subjects that I think deserve some attention from our community. Luckily for me, 99% percent of what I write is positive, and the remaining 1% is reserved for critiques of poorly run festivals that need to be put in their place.
Today is different. Today I’m going to sit down and force myself to share some insight on a genuine tragedy that will leave the worldwide festival community without one of its leaders and biggest proponents.
On Friday May 1st, Art Gimbel, founder of Fest300 and my main festival comrade, died in a car accident while traveling to the Further Future Music Festival in Nevada. I don’t know if I have the writing skill to convey what a loss this is, but I’m going to give it a go.
Art Gimbel was the real-life Most Interesting Man in the World. Along with co-founding the top music festival website, Fest300, Art traveled to over 70 countries and made lifelong friends in every one of them. Art didn’t just love adventure – he was adventure. His love of travel, combined with his never-ending go mentality, made him the ultimate thrill-seeker who would stop at nothing to make good times happen. KEEP READING